Saturday, March 21, 2015

Caching With Chrysta

So if you have been paying attention to the last bunch of posts on this blog, you will know I have been to Las Vegas to attend The Great Scavenger Meetup.

The group is a jaunty bunch of crazy photographers who have been competing on photography contests, called the Chrysta Rae Photography Scavenger Hunt.  We have been doing this for 4 years, ever since Google Plus was released.

So while we were all together in the same physical space, it was a pleasure to have the opportunity to share my other hobby of geocaching with Ms. +Chrysta Rae.

On Friday, the first day of the weekend, I showed Chrysta some of the caching options that would present themselves during our many planned adventures over the next few days.

On Sunday, during our visit to the Nelson Ghost Town, before we checked out the interesting buildings and vehicles,  we headed off to find a geocache together.

Another Scavenger, Derek Kind, expressed interest in geocaching, and joined us on the hunt.

Interesting side note, all three of us are pure bred Canadian. This fact has no bearing on the situation, aside from the fact that the idea of a bunch of Canadians geocaching in Nevada pleases me much.

I led them to GZ, and explained what they were looking for, and let them search the container.  Chrysta ended up finding the hiding spot first.
She did defer to my expertise to remove the container from its hiding place for fear of snakes, and other nasty desert fauna.

It was a good thing too, as I ran into a nasty creature while retrieving the cache.  I didn't get any shots of that encounter, but I did get this highly accurate artistic recreation.
I also did not get any photos of the cache itself.  I'm sure some exist, and if Derek or Chrysta have them, I'll add em to this post.  However it was a shiny 30cal ammo can.

I gave everyone involved a copy of my pathtag as a souvenir of the time they cached with Dave, then we went on a photographic spree of the area.

Another smiley among the see of smileys that was The Great Scavenger Hunt Meetup.