Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Long Way Round: Field Of Dreams

The following post is one of many that documents the adventures of a family of bears as they turn a 10 hour road trip into a week long adventure while on their way to GeoWoodstock XII in St. Charles Missouri. If you are not up to speed, check out the introduction here.

In 1989 a movie about a farmer who hears voices and ends up building a baseball field, was released.  Field of Dreams, starring Kevin Costner and James Earl Jones , became an instant classic, with the famous line "if you build it they will come".

As it turns out, they actually did build the baseball field in a cornfield, and now you can be the one that comes.

The field build in 1988 for the filming of the movie was maintained by the owners of the farm, and is now a tourist attraction.

To this day people all over the world visit this very well manicured field to relive their glory days.  When I learned that this was a possibility I put visiting the field immediately on my list, cause: nostalgia.
Really, none of us in the family are sports people.  I had to explain how baseball worked to my 4 year old.  But we still had some fun playing "baseball", like when my wife took the pitchers mound.
Zeke loved running the bases, tho it took a while before he would run them in the right direction.
At one point Debbie slid into third, but Abigail got her out.
Even the stands are still there.  The field is maintained as a tourist trap, and is open for anyone to play ball there.  Aside from a yearly game, there are no scheduled games played at this field.
At one point I decided to see if I could hit one of Debbies pitches.
Turns out, when I play fantasy baseball, I can knock it out of the park.  Go me!
It is really kinda fun that Field of Dreams is a real place.  Actually Iowa has a lot of these places, as you've seen in my previous post, and in the next two posts. However you'll have to wait for those, so until then...

Play ball!