Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Caching In A Winter Wonderland

Frequent readers of this blog will know that I am a good ol' Canadian boy, born and raised. Snow was a big part of my upbringing for 33 years.

Now that I live in North Carolina I seldom get the chance to experience snow.

Fortunately a few days ago I was lucky enough to get the chance to get my boots into some snow again.  I jumped at the chance to go geocaching, and hiking, in the snow.

Geocaching in snow is different. Anything near the ground becomes hard to find.  My Find/DNF ratio went crazy - DNFing as many caches as I found, but I got to hike in the snow, so it was all good in the end. (In my defense, half the caches I DNFd were previously DNFd by others).

Here are some more photos of my adventure in the snow, starting with this picture of one of the trails I was hiking.
Clearly we're going to have to wait a little longer before playing hockey on this creek.
 When it snows, it helps to have signs to point the way.
Ahhh... a snowy Canadian is a happy Canadian. It is amazingly therapeutic to get snow on my boots again.