Sunday, August 12, 2012

Geocaching Adventures: A Hike In Boone

There are few things that soothe a mans soul like a good wander.  You never know what you will find, or where you will go.

 Today I did my wandering up in the mountains of North Carolina on some trails smack dab in Boone North Carolina.

I picked this trail because I hadn't walked them before, and also because it contains the only OpenCaching North America cache within 30 miles of my house.

OpenCaching North America (or OCUS - yeah, I dunno why they shunned Canada with that acronym either...) is an alternate listing service for geocaches.  It is a newer service, but has several options that GroundSpeak doesn't offer.

The cache in question is a virtual cache (a cache type Groundspeak deprecated years ago), and the location is an old power generating station that dates back to 1915.  Now it is an old ruin, something that is rare in this part of the world.

OCUS is a neat alternative to geocaching.com, and is well worth checking out.  They have some polishing to do, but they are definitely off to a good start.

I hiked 4.6 miles on these trails, and found 5 caches in total.  Not a bad way to spend a Sunday.  It certainly soothed the soul (and really, isn't dealing with the soul the whole point of Sundays?).

I give to you, in picture form, todays moments of zen: