Monday, October 03, 2011

Geocaching Adventures: Myrtle Beach


Since before I can remember, probably since before I was born, my parents have been vacationing in Myrtle Beach  SC.   (non-interesting aside - they are not alone, Myrtle Beach is lousy with Canadians in October).

True to form my parents are spending a couple weeks in MB, so we decided to take a four day weekend and hit the coast.   A day of caching eastward.  Two days on the beach, and a day caching westward.  Sounds like a great plan to me!

The following are the highlights of the trip:


On the way east we found a cache that was suspended from a tree about 30ft up in the air.  It is retrieved via a pulley system attached to a nearby tree.

I originally went out to hunt this one solo, and my wife stayed in the van with sleeping Zeke.  Once I saw how the cache was hidden I rushed back to the van to grab my wife.  This one was too cool not to share.







On Saturday I went caching with my father.  We hiked the Heritage Shores National Preserve, an area we've never been too, despite coming here almost every year for decades.  We found some really interesting caches, including one cleverly camo'd into the boardwalk.


























Right behind Restaurant Row, which is tucked between Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach, is the intercoastal waterway.  This waterway mixes fresh and salt water, and rises with the tides, tho 3 hours delayed.  On Sunday morning I headed out to grab a cache that is hid on the banks of the waterway, and is only available during low tide.








On the way home we stopped by Clinton NC to visit the largest Flowering Dogwood in North Carolina.  It is the highlight of a really nice (if such things can be "nice") cemetery.  If you look closely at the tombstone to the right of the tree you will see the stuffed monkey that we took on tour with us.








Along the way I found caches for 18 pages for the NC Delorme Challenge, and I found my 800th cache.   It was a long 2 days in the van, and a short two days at the beach, but all in all a fantastic trip.