Monday, August 22, 2011

International Geocaching Day in the Blue Ridge Mountains

August 20th, 2011 was designated as  International Geocaching day.   When faced with such a thing, what is a cacher to do?  hrm...  there are some mountains over there... hrm...

We already had a full schedule planned that day, so I woke up early and hit the road.  My destination?  The Blue Ridge Mountains, part of the Appalachians,  20 minutes over and 2500ft up from my front door.

Let me tell ya, it was a great day to be up in the mountains.  The morning are was crisp and cool,  the cloudy sky had the promise of blue skies peaking through.  Perfection.

I only had a few hours to cache but I made the most of it.  I started with a series of caches on Blackberry Road, a really windy road that works its way up the mountain.  Once I hit the parkway it was time to drive one of the best driving roads I have been on: The Blue Ridge Parkway.  Along the way I managed to do a small series of caches displaying some of the more picturesque and interesting silos in the area.



After that it was time to start heading back down to home to pick up the wife and Tonka Tyke for a late breakfast and start our planned adventures for the day... but before I left I stopped by an overlook to take in some mountain view goodness.

It turned out to be a great way to celebrate International Geocaching Day.

Woot.